Sprinkler irrigation system is a high efficiency water use system and has following merits against surface irrigation methods:.
- With high water use efficiency, maximum can be achieved with minimum use of water.
- It saves time to irrigate all major, minor and vegetable crops including orchards.
- Where topography is uneven, there is no need to level the agricultural fields for irrigation
- It is the most appropriate irrigation system for all permeable soils.
- There is a significant saving in terms of cost and labor.
- Seed germination is faster and seedlings show better vigor compare to other methods of irrigation like surface and flood irrigation.
- Amount of water being applied is less which keeps the runoff at minimum.
- Vegetables, citrus orchards and other fruit trees can successfully be protected from frost.
- Ground water-table can be controlled to save shallow rooted crops.